Supporting Māori to excel, lead and prosper in vocational education and beyond through the design and delivery of innovative solutions transforming the Māori tertiary experience.
Delivering partnership, protection, participation and equity
The success of Māori is at the heart of our aspirations for vocational education and on-the-job learning, together with a commitment to put ākonga (learners) and their whānau at the centre of everything we do.
Our priority is that Māori can learn and succeed as Māori, and that Māori learner, hapū, iwi and employer outcomes are improved.
Te Pūkenga is focused on ensuring our systems and services work well for Māori. To do that, we need to respond with excellence to the priorities of Māori learners and their whānau, and to the wider aspirations of iwi, hapū and Māori communities throughout Aotearoa New Zealand.
This objective is driven by our Charter, legislative mandate and regulatory guidance as well as the will of our governing Council and Executive Leadership Team. Our Charter provides a solid foundation to give effect to the Māori-Crown partnership, creating clear obligations on Te Pūkenga to:
- ensure that its governance, management and operations give effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi
- recognise that Māori are key actors in regional social, environmental and economic development
- respond to the needs of and improve outcomes for Māori learners, whānau, hapū, iwi and employers.
We will deliver collaborative approaches with Māori, embed Te Tiriti o Waitangi excellence throughout the subsidiary network and articulate core objectives within a rautaki (strategy) co-designed and agreed to with our Te Tiriti o Waitangi partners.
Te Pūkenga – with our partners – will co-design approaches that meet the expectations of the Government’s Māori Education Strategy, Ka Hikitia, to facilitate Māori succeeding as Māori in vocational education.
Our Work Plan
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi Partnerships Framework
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi Blueprint
- Taonga Māori Project
- Te Pae Tawhiti: Te Tiriti o Waitangi Excellence Framework
- Te Pae Tawhiti: Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI)
- Māori Cultural Capability (MCC) Framework
- Tiriti Futures Initiatives
- Equity Strategy
- Equity Leadership Network Groups