Prime Minister’s Scholarship
Te Pūkenga Group Programmes
Te Pūkenga are the recipient of the Prime Minister’s Scholarship for two group programmes and are currently accepting applications from enrolled ākonga from Te Pūkenga.
Do you want to study abroad and learn through a new lens? Become a global citizen? Are you looking to start a career in international business through an internship? Or like to learn a new language?
It's all possible with a Prime Minister's Scholarship.
As of July 2023, we have two opportunities available for Te Pūkenga ākonga
6-week Entrepreneurship and Innovation Programme at Jinhua Polytechnic, China. Programme dates 10 December 2023 – 21 January 2024. The programme includes 4-week award-winning entrepreneurship and innovation course with embedded Chinese language classes, both on and off-campus entrepreneurship and innovation site visits, and 2-week cultural experience trips to 4 cities near Jinhua where the institution is located.
6-week internship in Medellin, Colombia hosted by The Intern Group (TIG). Programme dates 13 January – 23 February 2024. The programme has a deep focus on helping students develop tangible professional skills, intercultural competency, and relationship building between themselves and their host communities. The programme immerses students in Colombian culture with an internship placement professionally matched for the student and host, plus a full calendar of social and cultural events coordinated by TIG’s on-the-ground team. Internship career fields available: Entrepreneurship, IT/Computer science, Art, Photography, Finance and Graphic design. Internship placements are managed by The Intern Group.
About the scholarship
The Prime Minister's Scholarships for Asia (PMSA) and Latin America (PMSLA) are funded by the New Zealand Government and administered by Education New Zealand Manapou ki te Ao (ENZ).
Since 2013, the Scholarships have enabled more than 2,400 New Zealanders to broaden their horizons through life-changing learning experiences in Asia and Latin America.
Application closing date: 21 August 2023
Scholarship value: programme fees, flights, visas, insurance, and a contribution towards accommodation and living costs.
Applicable subjects/career fields:
- Graphic design
- IT/Computer science
- At least 18 years old at the date of applying
- New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Have been a resident in New Zealand for at least 12 of the previous 24 months
- Not an immediate relative of an Education New Zealand staff member or selection panel member
- Medically fit to travel (successful applicants will need to agree to complete any routine medical checks performed at the border, such as COVID-19 tests)
- Able to attend the full duration of your proposed programme overseas
- Eligible for an entry visa into your host country
- Have not previously received a Prime Minister's Group Scholarship
- The host country region or regions you intend to visit during your programme must be safe for travel (rated either "exercise normal safety and security precautions" or "exercise increased caution" on New Zealand's SafeTravel advisory scale) - noting that travel advisories may change at any time
- Currently engaged with Te Pūkenga for learning on campus, online or on the job.
How to apply
Complete the PMS application form
Click on the link in the section below to complete the PMS application form
Supply the required supporting documents
Copy of your passport
Cover letter and CV
Two reference letters
Submit your application
Send your supporting documents to the contacts listed below
Access and complete the Prime Minister's Scholarship Application Form.
Where to send your supporting documents
PMSA China Programme
Send your supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: "PMSA(China) & ‘YOUR LAST NAME' Application".
For more information about PMSA China Programme, please contact email@example.com.
PMSLA Colombia Programme
Send your supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: "PMSLA (Colombia) & ‘YOUR LAST NAME' Application".
For more information about PMSLA Colombia Programme, please contact email@example.com.
Find more information
You can also look at the Prime Minister’s Scholarship information on the ENZ website.