A relentless focus on equity and ensuring participation
- Drives engagement with Māori partners to develop and maintain active and meaningful Te Tiriti o Waitangi and Māori-Crown relationships, and to deliver equitable access and outcomes for Māori and their whānau as well as achieve the current and future aspirations of iwi, hapū and Māori communities throughout Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Enables Māori co-governance arrangements and ensures demonstrable action to deliver on commitments and opportunities under Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Also delivers to future and inter-generational aspirations of Māori through a focus on Te Tiriti o Waitangi opportunities.
- Works across the network to ensure that Te Tiriti o Waitangi is given effect in governance, management and operations, and Te Tiriti o Waitangi is lived at Te Pūkenga. It holds other functions accountable for delivery to our Te Tiriti o Waitangi Charter obligations.
Our Work Plan
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi Partnership Model
Te Tiriti o Waitangi partnership model, engagement plan and system, and implementation plan.
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi Blueprint
Te Tiriti o Waitangi blueprint to inform Operating Model design and process and implementation plan.
- Taonga Māori Project
A mechanism to identify, receive and protect taonga Māori and mātauranga Māori within Te Pūkenga.
Notable milestones to date:
- Partnership and joint work plan confirmed with the Mātauranga Iwi Leaders Group of the National Iwi Chairs Forum.
- Iwi-led appointments made to Te Pūkenga inaugural Māori Advisory Committee, Komiti Māori: Māori governance appointments made in partnership
- Memorandum of Understanding signed between Te Pūkenga and Te Wānanga o Aotearoa, with an agreement to collaborate through upskilling and access to training opportunities: Te Pūkenga and Te Wānanga o Aotearoa agreement to benefit all New Zealanders
- Inventory of taonga and mātauranga Māori across the network is underway with plans on how to best protect and ‘hold’ these taonga in development while determining the most appropriate kaitiaki with mana whenua, iwi, hapū and key kaimahi: Te Turuturu 2022: Taonga Māori Project
- Progress made in advancing and consolidating local and regional partnerships with Te Tiriti o Waitangi partners and Māori employers and organisations.